Every student receives 60-90 minutes of Language Arts per day. My program is based on the document entitled Literacy in the Middle Grades developed by our board.
Each day, your child reads for 20-30 minutes silently. During this time, they are to write words that they do not recognize, and the page number that they found this word, on a piece of paper. These new words become their next week's vocabulary list, if they so choose.
Word Study---Every day, your child learns new vocabulary in all subject areas. As a class, we choose 5 words that we all want to focus on. In your child's word study book every week, they are to do the following work:
1. Write the 10 words, and sentences that go with each word.
2. Write these words on their portable word wall.
3. Write Word Webs, based on the 44 sounds of the English Language. These sounds are pasted inside their word study book.
4. Write the definitions for each of the ten words.
5. Write a letter to mom, dad, or me about what you have learned this week.
Reading Workshop---This month, students are reading a book entitled "Frindle." Each week, your child is given an assignment based on their readings. We take up this assignment in small groups, in order to ensure their understanding of the novel.
Writing Workshop---This month, we are learning how to write paragraphs, and focusing on writing short narrative texts and poems. Your child is given a new assignment to complete in their writing notebook.
The purpose of this language program is to promote independent work, organization, and responsibility which is important learning skill assessed on the report card every term. I will be calling parents if this work is not completed in class.
1. Please bring in food donations for Thanksgiving.
2. Validation for Matthew.
PLEASE read the post entitled Language Arts. This will inform you a
1. Word Study---find definitions for your ten words. Wordsmyth.net is a great site for an online kid's dictionary.
2. Writing--make sure you have finished revising your name autobiography.
1. Word Study---Finish word webs for our Week 4 vocabulary. Make sure you have chosen 5 words to add to our five class words.
2. Science---Finish worksheets about ROCKS and MINERALS. There will be a test on Monday about the facts learned! We will review these facts tomorrow and Thursday.
Curriculum night is at 7 pm to 8 pm tonight. The Grade 4 location is in Portable 11.
1. Finish your validation poem for Alexander.
2. ART Title page with warm and cool colours!
1. Students have to finish their LANGUAGE ARTS title page.
2. Math page 52-53 #1-17. Students worked on most of this during class. Some students were having difficulty. These children were instructed to finish at least 5 questions at home. If your child is spending too much time on homework, please let me know at the school!!!
No homework tonight!
Students brought home their assessment binder today containing a new math test. Please correct the mistakes with your child, and sign the test to indicate that you have received it!
Students are learning some GREAT apps this year. For more information on how to access or use these apps see this board website: